Pages

Monday, November 16, 2009

Russian Imperial Honey Stout

Saturday was a very exciting brew day with the debut of my first mash tun!


This 5 gallon beverage cooler is the beginning of moving away from extract syrup and towards all grain brewing.

I’ll keep using the syrup for the bulk of my fermentable sugars since I only got about 50% efficiency on this first mash. But that’s ok because we added a pound and a half of honey to make up for it. I doubt the honey flavor will come through the dark malts and all the hops in this recipe, but it will up the alcohol a bit. This is my biggest beer yet, so I have no idea how long it will take before its drinkable (hopefully it takes less than 6 months to condition).

Mash:

5 lb British mild ale/stout malt (2.5o L)

1 lb Crystal (90o L)

0.5 lb Vienna malt

1 lb Chocolate malt (British)

1 lb oat flakes

0.5 roasted barley

I added in 4 gallons (half bottled water, half tap water) of water (165o F?) and the mixture stabilized at 151o F. After an hour, I added a half gallon of boiling water to thin out the mash and up the temperature a bit, and then started draining into the brew pot. I did a batch sparge with 165o F water (forgot to write down the volume, 2 gallons?) to make sure I got as much sugar out as possible. The gravity of this was around 1.026.

Boil Schedule:

Bittering hops (60 minutes): 1 oz Chinook plugs @14% alpha acid

Flavoring hops (30 minutes): 2 oz Northern Brewer pellets @ 6% alpha acid

For the last 15 minutes of the boil, I added 4 lbs Alexanders Pale Extract (liquid), 1.5 lbs of Greg’s honey (Doylestown wild flower?) and about 2 tsp of yeast nutrients.

Aroma hops (10 minutes): 1 oz Cascade plugs @ 8.7% alpha acid

O.G. 1.075

The boil may have lasted longer than 60 minutes, so this may be a pretty bitter brew. We're at the upper end of the bitter scale with about 100 IBUs and at the low end of the gravity scale. Should be an interesting beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment