Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Winter Break Beerfest

My friends and I were able to gather some beer from all over the place over break, so we decided to have a world tour beerfest. We had beer from India, Costa Rica, Germany, Belgium and USA (I bet you can guess which ones we were most excited about). Here is a quick list of the beers we had:

Imperial (Costa Rica)
Kingfisher (India)
Gaffel Kolsch (Germany)
Landbier Reigel er Bier (Germany)
Rothaus Pils (Germany)
Becks Dark (Germany)
Hacker Pschor (Germany)
Anchor Steam (USA)
Bluegrass Brewing's Nut Brown (USA)
Lagunitas Pale Ale (USA)
Straffe Hendrick (Belgium)
Corsendonk Tripel (Belgium)
Grimbergen Blonde (Belgium)
Victory 12 (USA)
Abbey Affligen Noel (Belgium)

I doubt anyone wants to read reviews of all those beers (I also doubt I took good enough notes to supply reviews) so I will just give some thoughts/quotes from the evening.

Upon tasting the Imperial: "Booo!" -Greg

My favorite of the Germans was the hacker Pshor (a dark wisse beer). Nice apples and caramel/molasses. Greg reminds everyone that he doesn't like wheat beers.

The coolest beer of the night was the Bluegrass Brewing Nut Brown. I normally don't like browns but this one was really good. Smelled like cocoa and tasted like peanuts at first, then more chocolaty towards the end. I will seek out more brews from Bluegrass.
http://www.bbcbrew.com/

Crowd favorite: Abbey Affligen Noel. Again, another style that doesnt get me excited but the beer was good. Dubbed the "best brun in belgium" by greg. The spices jumped out when I opened the bottle but kind of dissapeared while drinking. I enjoyed the fact that the spices didnt overpower the beer, since beers like that just taste weird.

Overall, a great night of beer (with some monopoly there at the end). I highly recommend this style of beer tastings: just have people bring some random beer, drink and discuss (monopoly is optional).

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment