Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My "famous" Wheat Beer Pancakes with Beer-nana fosters sauce

Why famous? Because it was served at the Philly Beer Scene Magazine/Hawthorne's Beer Geek Breakfast along with one other of my recipes and a recipe from my fiancee. It was all part of an epic beer weekend that included getting engaged (I'm sorry that I don't have a story for you, but it was a beer filled weekend and I woke up on Sunday with a hangover and a fiancee...).

Philly Beer Scene Magazine (@phillybeerscene) had a recipe contest for beer-infused brunch recipes. The top picks from each of the 4 categories would be served at Hawthorne's for the Beer Geek Brunch. Carolyn and I took 3 of the 4 categories! I will post my second recipe later and hopefully I can get Carolyn to do a guest post with her recipe.

My first recipe is a standard beer pancakes recipe with Troegs Dreamweaver Wheat and a sauce inspired by bananas foster made with Victory Golden Monkey (belgian tripel) instead of rum. The only thing really missing from this recipe is a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Wheat beer pancakes with Beernana Fosters sauce:

For the pancakes
Dry:
3 Cups AP flour
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 Tablespoon kosher salt

Wet:
3 eggs
3 cups wheat beer (Troegs Dream Weaver Wheat)
2 Tablespoons melted butter
3 Tablespoons maple syrup

Mix together dry ingredients. Whisk together wet ingredients and when thoroughly combined, add to dry ingredients. Whisk until they come together as a lumpy batter. No need to overmix trying to get the lumps out. Ladle 1/4 cup portions of the batter on a 350 degree F griddle. Flip when bubbles set on the surface and cook until golden brown.

For the Beernana Foster Sauce
1 stick of butter (8 Tablespoons or a half cup)
1 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup Tripel ale (Victory Golden monkey)
8 bananas sliced into bite sized rounds

Melt butter and brown sugar together on low heat and then add the tripel. As this mixture reduces, add the banana slices and cook until slightly softened and coated with the syrup.

To assemble: Place desired number of pancakes on plate, top with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment