Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Pale Ale #Fail

A couple weeks ago I did an experimental pale ale. I probably tried to do too many "experiments" with it and so it turned out pretty undrinkable. Greg managed to get down a whole pint, but then complained that it made him feel sick.

The original idea was an all cascade hopped, small batch, short boil, late extract addition beer. See what I mean about too many experiments? To be honest, I don't think that any of these things really made the beer fail, I just think I was too distracted by the experiments and didn't pay attention to the normal details of brewing.

The aroma was very fruity, like over ripe (maybe rotting) apples. The taste was similar but with a little ethanol/solvent taste to it. I think it is because we pitched a whole packet of yeast and let it ferment way too hot. Greg thinks it is because we let it sit in primary too long. Either way, the beer was bad. We have begun talking about using the keggerator to control fermentation temps and maybe starting to do some lagers.

The next beer will be better.

1 comment:

  1. The wort could have gotten infected...that's what the overly ripe smell makes me think.

    ReplyDelete